2.23.2023

5 Movies Related to Friendship #DirectedbyWomen



I have never let this blog go so long between posts. 2 1/2 months is too long. I mean, obviously my ideal is to write a lot, and I'll get back to it. I've been consciously focusing on other stuff, but I'm feeling more available lately,. Baby steps, though. Right now, it's late on a Thursday, and I'm watching The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. I earlier walked to the store and got some Cheez Wiz and Triscuits, which I'm eating and it's great. I also got a box of strawberry cake and strawberry icing. I just pulled the cake out of the oven and am waiting to ice it. I like to add a little sugar sprinkles to give it a bit of a crunch. Anyway, I thought I could get a quick 5-movies-by-lady-directors list up, and since I'm watching one about friendship, I figured I could do the list with that theme. So here ya go. Enjoys.

A Little History of These Lists
I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, here friends, are 5 great lady-directed movies that touch on motherhood.


The Movies

1 The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood was directed by Callie Khouri. I think that I saw this back when it came out in 2002. It seems kinda familiar as I'm watching it right now, but not completely.  I read the book back then, so I'm not sure if it was just that making it seem familiar. Anyway, my mom had read it - maybe for a book club - and recommended it to me. I might have actually listened to it on tape. I had a long commute to college and work back then, and I would often get books on cassette tape from the library. Anyway, I enjoyed it. I say if you want to watch a fluffy and dramedy about rich old southern women that have been friends since childhood, it's a good bet. 





2 Girlfriends - This was directed by Claudia Weill. I actually just saw this movie today as well. It just popped up when I was searching on the HBO streaming app. It's from 1978, and I thought it was a pretty solid movie - especially as 70's indie movies go. I almost wondered if the movie Frances Ha had been influenced by it. The director, doesn't look like she did much except for an after school special after it, which sucks because I would definitely watch another movie from this write/director. It's for sure about friends. 




3 Attenberg - This was directed by Athina Rachel Tsangari. I caught this a few years ago streaming. It's a Greek movie, and the friendship between 2 young women is a huge part of it. It's strange, and sweet, and sad, and I think it's well worth a watch. I'm just now thinking I should probably check out another of this women's movies.




4 Troop Zero - This was directed by the directing team Bert and Bertie. This was a sweet, fun ol' movie about a bunch of kids forming a Girl Scout style troop. It's a good watch if you haven't seen it. I think it was a pandemic watch for me.




5 Babysitter (2022) - This was directed by Monia Chokri. I'm telling you what. I just happened upon this movie, not thinking it'd be much, but I was wrong. It was weird as fuck, and I was into it. I'll let you make your own decisions, but I'd watch whatever this women makes. I can also say it's at least a little about friendship. 


No comments:

Post a Comment