8.30.2021

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen Focused Around A Career



Hello! I'm on a road trip vacation at the moment. It's the 3rd day. I just visited my only friend from college and her wife (I didn't live on campus, so ya know...). We see each other maybe every 5 years or so, but it's always like it's been no time at all. Anyway, they were great and have 2 beautiful cats, so it was pretty amazing. Me and Charlie just walked around a shit ton and are now chilling in an AirBnB watching Karate Kid while we wait to pick up Barnaby (long-time friend and movie partner - the 3rd director of Science Sex and the Ladies) from his flight. He'll be road tripping with us for about 12 days and then we'll drop him at another city to fly home. 

Since I have soem time, I thought I should post something. A little update, I ordered Homosexuality in Perspective from Master's and Johnson because in that 1979 Playboy interview with them that I just reviewed, it seemed like there's some female orgasm stuff in there I was to get straight from the source. That's my vacation book, so hopefully by the time I get done with the trip, I'll be ready to post something about it. 

My awesome online friend also just sent me a link to what seems like a badass Scandinavian book called I Accuse by Mette Ejersen. I ordered that, so that's going to be my next read. 

Okay, so to the movies. These are all movies that involve a person and their career. and particularly how they grow within, outside, or towards these careers.

A Little History of These Lists
I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, get ready for career driven movies. Prep the food, the drinks, and the blankets - because you are not working on your careere at the moment. You are watching a movie. 

The Movies

1 Cargo - This was directed by Arati Kadav. This is a  2020 Indian movie that Charlie somehow heard about, and we watched it on Netflix. I highly recommend this one. It's a little sci-fi, a little fantast, a little buddy movie, and it's just really fun and sweet. I would tell you what the career int his movie was, but it's kinda hard to explain, and it'd be better for you to just watch it.

 


2 A Woman A Part - This was directed by Elisabeth Subrin. I caught this streaming about a year ago. It's about an actress reassessing her whole deal. It's definitely focused on actor and struggling artist type kinds of issues, so if you're into that, for sure check it out.

 


3 Welcome To Me  - This was directed by Shira Piven. I saw this somewhere streaming probably 5 years after it came out. I don't know how I found this, but it's probably because I watch a Kristen Wiig movie whenever it can and the internet knows this. This movie is part of the reason that I will watch anything she's in. She keeps it interesting with her movie choices. This one was weird and sweet and sometimes unexpected, and I'd recommend it for sure. It also only fits into the career category in a sideways fashion, and when you see it, you'll know why.  

 

4 Late Night - This was directed by Nisha Gantra. I remember specifically when I watched this. It was about this time 2 years ago. Barnaby (see above) was visiting and he, Charlie, and I had just gone to the Iowa State Fair. We actually saw 3 different 2020 presidential candidates that day, because if you weren't aware, ya ain't running for president if your ass ain't at the Iowa State fair the year before the election. That's just the truth. So, we got home and watched this. Although we enjoyed the watch and the commentary during, it's not what I would call a a top notch movie - even though it's got a lot of top actors. It's got some problems if you ask me. But, again, I didn't hate the watch. Oh - and this is squarely a late night talk show career movie, so fits the list. 



5 Pure  - This was directed by Lisa Langseth. Again, caught this streaming somehow. It's a Swedish movie, and ya know, I thought it was pretty great, and career is at the heart of it...and I say definitely check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment