3.01.2019

5 Oscar 2018 Movies #DirectedbyWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

These are the 5 of the 11 movies represented in the Oscar nominations directed by women that I have seen. 4 of them are shorts. I plan on seeing the other 6 soon, and I'll put another post up when I do. I would like to point out that 78% of the movies represented in Oscar nominations are directed by men. I created this stat myself by going through the nominations on this site, and counting up all the movies directed by men vs. ones directed by women or with at least 1 woman on the directing team. I couldn't find that stat because most of them are about the gender of the person nominated - so like the gender of the cinematographer nominated, but I was counting the gender of the director of that movie that had a cinematographer nom. I just wanted to see how many of the movies that get the notoriety and respect of having something in their movie recognized at the Oscars were directed by women - and the answer is 12%....11 of the 51 total movies or 5 of the 36 feature length movies (14%). 

Anyway, here ya go. Be awed by their Oscar-ness.

1 Bao - This was directed by Domee Shi. This was released as the Pixar short before Incredibles  2, but I didn't see it that way. I saw it at the 2018 Oscar nominated shorts showing while on a trip to see our friend Garin in New Orleans.  I feel pretty neutral about this movie. It's kind of a classic Pixar short -made to win an Oscar- situation, but you might really find it hits you the right way.




2 Animal Behaviour - This was directed by Alison Snowden and David Fine. I saw this in the same short series as above. BTW the Prytania in New Orleans is an independent theater that our friend Garin loves and frequents. We spent a lot of time there, and it's pretty fab. Check it out if you're in the city (and after you've hit Bourbon street real hard, ate a PoBoy, and got yourself some culture - there's a lot to do in that city).




3 Late Afternoon - This was directed by Louise Bagnall. This too I saw in the same Oscar dhorts series. I'll be honest. I've been checking out Oscar shorts for many a year, and this, although quite lovely, was...well, about the thing I feel like 90% of all Oscar shorts are about (it's not actually 90%, but it feels like it) - Alzheimer's. So, just know that going in.




4 Marguerite - This was directed by Marianne Farley. I saw this on the same weekend and the same theater, but at the Live Action Oscar Shorts showing. I quite liked this. I thought it was rather tender.




5 Free Solo - This was directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhely and Jimmy Chin. This is a full length doc, and I saw it on Netflix sitting on my couch. It's a lot more interesting of a doc than you would think - and I say that not in a bad way. You might think there's not enough there for a full length movie and you might think you already know the outcome, but it's quite a good watch anyway - interesting and captivating in a couple way. I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment