8.16.2017

5 Movies To Watch With Your Teens #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, I know it's hard to find a movie on Netflix or whatever when you're hanging out with your young teen children and or nieces/nephews. They're picky. You're picky. Sometimes you just have to choose something and move on. You can make those choices from my list here today. This is the list of 5 movies by women directors to watch with your teens.

1 Pay It Forward - This one is directed by Mimi Leder. I saw this at home with my parents, I think, around the time it came out. I lived with them a couple years during college. It is a really lovely movie, as I recall, and well worth the watch.



2 Tortilla Soup - This was directed by Maria Ripoll. I saw this somehow, maybe on cable, maybe I rented it, around the time it came out in 2001. It's a feel good, family, sister, awesome-looking-food kind of movie if I recall. I remember enjoying it, and it seems like a solid Saturday afternoon choice, if you ask me.




3 The Matrix - This is by Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski. I saw this in the theater when it came out, and like everyone else that saw it, I assume, I left the theater feeling like I could fly and bounce off walls. The effects were insane for the time, but I think they still hold up. Granted, this is rated R, but I think it'd be fine for most teens, and plus, I think they'd really get into it.




4 Bend it Like Beckham - This was directed by Gurinder Chadha. I didn't actually see this 2002 movie until just this year on Amazon. I had always heard it was a good one, though, and it did not disappoint. It was sweet, and funny, and a general good watch. This is a really top notch choice for a movie both ten and parent would be into.




5 The Fairy - This was directed by Fiona Gordon, Dominique Abel, and Bruno Romy. I saw this recently online streaming somewhere. It looked sweet, and as I was watching, I realized it looked a lot like a trailer I'd seen recently for a movie called Lost in Paris, so I looked it up and it is indeed the same people. The directors Fiona and Dominique also star in and write them. They are different characters in all their movies, but with the same names. They are whimsical, slap-stick movies, a bit of an homage to a certain type of silent movie. It's unique and fun, and worth a watch. Oh- it's also foreign, but hopefully your teens can read.

No comments:

Post a Comment