5.22.2022

5 Top Notch Docs #DirectedByWomen



Hello all. In my neck of the woods it's getting nice out, and you'd think I'd be spending more time outside, but I'm not. I'm watching movies on my new favorite streaming app Mubi. I'm not getting paid by them at all. I just love to watch random, yet curated, movies. I love the idea of just turning something on without knowing shit about it and seeing where it goes. I mean I could do that on any streaming service, but Mubi hand picks this shit, and I've been very pleased so far. It's pretty much the only streaming we've been watching. I might even get rid of some of my other ones. I mean we really do subscribe to too many.

All that to say, I've seen some good lady-directed movies on there - particularly some docs. So I'm going to give you 5 great lady-directed docs (3 are on Mubi).

Also, my college-age niece is coming to visit tomorrow for the week, and I'm super excited. It's really my only real dream in life (besides deep cultural change regarding knowledge of the female orgasm) to have my nieces and nephews come visit me as they grow older. So, I wanted to get up a quick post, whichi s this post...ya know?

A Little History of These Lists
I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, here friends, are 5 great lady-directed docs (3 of which I saw on Mubi). 


The Movies

Taming the Garden This was directed by Salome Jashi. This I saw on Mubi just last week, and I was into this shit. It's not, what you might call a fast paced or particularly exciting doc. To be fair, it's probably not for everyone or for anyone if they are sleepy, but it's gorgeous and interesting. It's about the transportation of these giant trees out of the countryside and into the garden of Georgia's (the country not the state) forme Prime Minister.





2 My Octopus Teacher - This was directed by Pippa Ehlrich and James Reed. I think I saw this on Netflix? Maybe? Anyway, it was also a beautiful movie under the sea. I do recommend.





3 The Queen of Versailles - This was directed by Lauren Greenfield. This had been on my list to watch for a few years. It came out in 2012, but I only finally did it about a month ago. It's a classic, long-follow doc, and it does it well. 

 



4 Truth or Consequences - This was directed by Hannah Jayanti. This was for sure a Mubi find as well. It's about this interesting town and its people, and it's just a kind of lovely slow look. I liked it a lot. 




5 Crip Camp - This was directed by James Lebrecht and Nicole Newnham. This is just a great, informative, doc about the camp that ended up cultivating some of the most important people in the disability rights movement. Very worth a watch.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment