7.05.2021

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen About Real People



Hello all! Per usual, I'm slacking off, and am going to post my house special 5-movie-list of films I've actually seen directed by women ...because it's quick and easy. I'm at my sister's house at the moment. There's 2 weddings 2 weeks apart with a lake vacation with family in between, so I've been working from another city. I had lots of niece and nephew graduations before that I was traveling for. We had 5 graduate this year. Also found out there are 2 more on the way. I've also got to hang with friends recently which has been excellent, might have drank a bit too much recently. One of my friends saw that I had no clothes worthy of wearing out in the summer and made me buy something  - which I actually appreciate. I need to be forced to buy new clothes sometimes. I'm also training for a new job while doing my old job, and that's probably been the biggest time suck, but I think I'm gonna like it. 

Anyway, that's my update about my life. I'm working on the summary/discussion of the Masters and Johnson 1979 Playboy interview, but it's not quite done yet. As always, it will be way too long when it is. So for now, please enjoy this list of 5 movies I've seen, directed by women and about real people. 

A Little History of These Lists
I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, get ready for bio-pics and not quite bio-pics. I suggest popcorn while watching these movies, because I suggest popcorn at all times and in any circumstance.


The Movies

Can You Ever Forgive Me - This was directed by Marielle Heller (who also directed Diary of a Teenage Girl, which is one of my very faves). It has Melissa McCarthy, who I think is just straight tops as an actor. If you ask  me, she brings it - anytime and in any role. I saw this streaming a year or so after it came out. I thought it was great and would recommend to anyone.




2 Nico 1988 - This was directed by Susanna Nicchiarelli. I was drawn to this when I saw it on a streaming site because I like Nico's (probably most famous song) These Days. When I watched the move though, I was tired as shit, and I don't think it got the attention it deserved. It was cool though, and worth checking out. Maybe I'll hit it up again as well.



3 Mapplethorpe - This was directed by Ondi Timoner. ME and Charlie are always up for an artist biopic, and this happened to be one we saw some Saturday when we just kinda kept finding and watching them. It's a good one, and I hadn't known about his connection to Patty Smith, which was a cool surprise.



4 Misbehaviour - This was directed by Philippa Lowthorpe. I thought this movie was a great ride of feminism, beauty pageants, and schemes - a really well done popcorn movie with some depth and history and poignancy behind it. I don't know, but I wonder if it got screwed a little because of Covid. I think it could have done really well at the box office. This is a great choice for movie night.



5 The Art of Loving: Story of Michalina Wislocka  - This was directed by Maria Sadowska. I knew nothing about this woman, but caught this streaming somewhere. It's a great movie, and a great story. Again, highly recommend. Plus, SSL bonus - this movie is about ladies talking to ladies about sex - learning shit that the world doesn't want the ladies to know. So, respect.


No comments:

Post a Comment