8.15.2020

5 Docs #DirectedByWomen That I Hope You'll Like



Good afternoon. Here is another 5 Movie list for you while I'm procrastinating on the next post. Listen, it's been a little heavy at work lately, and ya know, I kinda just want to watch a fab movie and eat dinner when get home. Maybe eat some ice cream, maybe. 

But I don't want you to think I'm gone or that I'm not thinking of you. I most definitely am. So, here's some good ol' docs for you to enjoy in the meantime.

I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, grab some ice cream (I'd go with Ben and Jerry's Milk and Cookies, if it were me), and check of these lovely documentaries directed by women.

The Movies

1 Wrestle  - This is directed by Suzannah Herbert  with co-director Lauren Belfer. I saw this streaming a few months ago. It's a good fly on-the-wall doc following a few members of a high school wrestling team. Engaging view - I recommend it. 




2 There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane - This was directed by Liz Garbus. I saw this streaming about a year ago. If you're into true crime stuiff you'll enjoy this - even though it's not really true crime, but it has the feel.




3 Athlete A  - This was directed Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk. I just recently saw this one. It's about The Indianapolis Star's investigation into the USA gymnastics abuses on their female gymnasts.  Strangely, although I have lived in Indy almost my whole life, and was there when this all news came out, I didn't realize that it was originating from The Star. I love good solid investigative journalism doing better for the world, and this is a good doc on it. Recommend. 




4 Hillary -This was directed by Nanette Burstein. It's about Hillary Clinton, ya'll.  I saw this a few months ago. Good shit. For real. - definitely worth a watch.




5 My Life Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn - This was directed by Liz Corfixen, who happens to be Nicolas Winding Refn's wife. Refn directed some movies I really love (and a couple I could live without), and this is her documentation of the time during the shooting of Only God Forgives, a movie I quite like and which got a pretty good SSL Review (solid ladybation scene for sure). I say check this out - especially if you want to see a director lose his shit about whether his movie's good or not. I kinda love this doc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment