4.10.2020

5 Good-ass Lady Directed Movies to Watch During a Pandemic



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

These are all kinda slightly indie movies I've seen lately that I like. That's it simple as that. 

So, given that there's a worldwide pandemic and none of you should be going out and hanging with friends tonight or tomorrow night or many nights after that, you have time to find these on a streaming service and watch them. Enjoy.

1. Ginger and Rosa - This was directed by Sally Potter. It's from 2012, and I basically found it because I was looking for movies directed by women, and saw a movie, Orlando, she did that I really liked. So, I checked this one out, and I really liked it too. I love a movie about lady friends - but like a gritty interesting one.





2 Hustlers - This was directed by Lorene Scarafia. It's got Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu, Lizzo, Cardi B. I mean you can't go wrong. Well, you can, but you don't. It had been on my radar for a while, and I'm glad i checked it out. It's a again, a gritty intersting one about lady friends, ya'll, but in a very different way than the last. For real - a well done movie.





3 The Love Witch - This was directed by Anna Biller. Again, just found this searching around  for top lady-directed movies, and there it was. I love stumbling onto shit like that. It's for sure witchy, it's real 60's (but made in 2016) and it's a good watch - I recommend it for your isolation.





4 Mudbound - This was directed by Dee Rees. I actually got to see this in a cool ass Nashville independent movie theater with a friend that had worked on the film and got some backstory on the production which was cool. It's a beautiful film. Check it out.





5 Honey Boy - It was directed by Alma Har'el. I saw this fairly recently at our local Flour Cinema her in Des Moines, and I'll tell ya, I was pleasantly surprised. Like, I really like this movie. I think it's well done as fuck. It's written by Shia LaBeouf during rehab as a form of therapy about his childhood with his father. Ya think, Shia LaBeouf? Are we gonna really get a thoughtful, gentle, raw look at his relationship with his father? Well, pair him with a really on-point lady director, and yes - yes we will. It's a good movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment