12.31.2019

Marriage Story - An SSL Review


This is going to be a quick one, friends. It's New Years Eve 2019, and I want to make sure I get one last post in for the year. Ya know, since I haven't put up nearly as many posts as I would like this year, I wanted to at least try and end the year off right...and hopefully begin 2020 right as well. So Happy New Year to all of you. May your 2020 be filled with many ladygasms for you and/or the ladies you care about. (!)



Marriage Story
I caught this movie on Netflix last night, and it was alright. There were parts I really liked in it, but it was also not everything I would have wanted. Plus, I have a little part of me that is really bothered by stories about rich entertainers and their specific issues. I think I've just seen it too much - especially in a particular type of indie movie genre. Anyway, it's okay as a movie, but there was a part of it that maybe isn't specifically SSL Reviewable, but is still well worth a review. It was a fairly unique thing, and worthy of some SSL praise.

An SSL Review
An SSL Review, for those that need a little refresher, is a review specifically of any discussion or depiction of female orgasm, female masturbation, or the clit. I critique the realism of the depiction/discussion and also write about what the depiction/discussion says about and/or adds to our cultural understanding of female sexuality and orgasm. I try my best to just stick specifically to those SSL Reviewable moments, so it usually stays pretty focused on those parts of the movie only, but sometimes I like to digress.

So here we go. I have tons of these reviews btw. You can find all the other movie SSL Reviews HERE and the TV SSL Reviews HERE.

Get yours, my lady friend!
Let me just get right down to the scene in question. Nicole, played by Scarlett Johansson, is a woman in her 30's? I'd guess, in the midst of a divorce. She is largely getting said divorce because she realized that she had not been living her own life. She had just been going along with her husband, and realized when she tried to be her own person doing her own things, he got bothered and jealous, and she decided she needed to break it off, think about what she wanted and go after it.

After she gets a annoying call from her ex at a party, she sees a crew member from the show she's on that had been flirty with her on set. They talk for a second and then we see them in a car kissing and making out and all that. Then she says:
"This is what we're going to do. You're going to finger me. That's all we're going to do. I'm changing my whole life."
Then it cuts.

I like that shit
Listen, I don't know what happened after that, but I'd like to assume that dude emphatically rubbed her vulva and clit with his fingers until she came and then she went the fuck home to eat a lovely snack, watch a little TV and then go to bed. That's what I hope, and I think that's what the movie insinuates.

It also insinuates that by saying what she said, by going into a rando-sexual encounter and making that encounter be something that is focused on her orgasm alone, she is making a change in her life. I can only assume that change is the prioritization of her orgasm in her sexual encounters. And, you know I love that.

Like I said before, this scene is technically not SSL Reviewable because there is no specific reference to clit, lady-gasm, or lady-bation, but I mean, it's basically about her orgasm, amiright?

Anyway, I appreciated a really pointed display of a woman taking control of her sexual life that wasn't just about her 'being as sexy as she wanted to be' or her 'fucking whoever she wanted to fuck.' I mean, please, fuck whoever you want to fuck, but let's be honest, although that is a really common way to see women 'take control of their sexuality' in movies and TV, it's problematic because it still leaves the lady-gasm out of the picture. Put as many dicks in your vagina as you want, they aren't likely to create any orgasm but his....because stimulation inside the vagina does not an orgasm make. Now getting fingered (which to be fair could mean ramming fingers up the pussy, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume it means getting your clit vulva area diddled to orgasm), however, is a very realistic way a woman might get hers - given that the clit is the organ of female pleasure and stimulating it right could for sure cause orgasm.

The Vulva Rating
What Nicole did in that scene, I would recommend to any woman. In fact I would give my friend a flying high five if she told me that is what she did last night. I hope women and girls see that scene and see possibilities for their next sexual encounter. I hope guys see that ask she made in that scene and it gets normalized. Respect to that scene. I give you a 5 out of 5 vulva rating.

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)





No comments:

Post a Comment