7.27.2018

5 Daughter Movies #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

The movies in this list all center around being a daughter in some way. I mean all ladies are daughters to someone, but it's an important element in these movies. You might relate. Probably not...because these are mostly not about anything you ever have or even ever could experience, but you know, maybe.

Please do get a snack and a drink, and choose one of these lovely movies directed by women.

1 The Edge of Seventeen - This was directed by Kelly Fremon Craig. I actually saw this accidentally. I was meaning to see Twentieth Century Women, but thought it was called The Edge of Seventeen for some reason, and I didn't realize I'd gone to a different movie until about 20 minutes in when I just couldn't pretend anymore that it would suddenly turn toward the plot or characters I was expecting. It was a good movie though, so I'm not complaining - a solid coming of age (which of course involved but was certainly not limited to the main character's relationship with her mother).




2 Lady Bird - This was directed by Greta Gerwig. I saw this at the theater on my first trip to Des Moines - staking it out for the potential move. They have a great little arts theater here, and honestly that helped me feel a lot better about moving here. It is a really excellent movie in the coming of age drama. It's clearly all about the mother daughter relationship, and do I love that the mother is Jackie from Roseanne. Yes I do.




3 The Dressmaker - This was directed by Jocelyn Moorehouse. I caught this on Netflix. I was interested in seeing this in the theaters, but it didn't happen. I was quite pleasantly surprised by this. It's a good one, and it starts with a daughter coming home to her mother. Check this one out.




4 Oh Lucy - This was directed by Atsuko Hirayanagi. I saw this at that same Des Moines art theater. I will say the trailer is not a great way to actually get a feel of what this movie is, but I liked it a lot anyway. It's got some superb shit in it. I recommend. And - it involves following a daughter to the US from Japan.




5 Wonder Woman - This was directed by Patty Jenkins. You know about this one. IEveryone does...and frankly the person Wonder Woman is a daughter of makes a pretty big difference in this movie. I'm gonna be honest and say something I suspect will be pretty unpopular. I didn't like it all that much. I mean it was fine, and as super hero movies go, it was a good one, but to me, that's not saying much. Super hero movies are really just pure fluffy, cotton candy, predictably boring trash with lame over-done fight scenes. I mean that's my opinion, but I won't shame you if that's the kind of trash you like. I like my own types of trash movies, but super hero movies are not one of them. Anyway. I'm not gonna recommend this one, but you probably love it already and don't need my recommendation anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment