12.11.2017

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen That You Can Watch With The Young Folks This Winter Break



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

It's getting near the ol' winter break, which means many of you will have your children lounging around your house all day instead of in school, or you'll be at your parents or siblings houses with a bunch of kids around. You want to choose a great lady-directed movie, but you also need it to be kid friendly. what to do? Well, here's 5 options. If these don't work, there's more in the master list, and if you're looking specifically for holiday related movies - head directly to find 5 of those HERE. This is the list of 5 movies by women directors for the younger crowd this winter break.

1 Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging - This one was directed by Gurinder Chadha. It's from a Young adult novel by the  same name I believe, and I ended up catching this movie on TV while at my in-laws. My youngest sister-in-law at the time was in the age range for this. I believe she had read the book. Anyway, we all got caught up in it. It's a YA novel story for sure, but I thought it was heads above the pack in terms of the story and the morals and the roundness of the characters. It was a good movie, and I'm glad I happen to catch it.





2 Aquamarine - This was directed by Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum. When I'm at home by myself doing this and that...maybe doing some rote day job work on the laptop or cleaning a bit, I like to watch movies, and teen movies about friendship are high on the list. This is how I came to watch this movie, and although it was a good while back and I can't remember a lot of details about it, I remember thinking it was a good choice and exactly what I'd hoped it would be. 





3 The Prince and Me - This one was directed by Martha Coolidge. This was another one that I chose to watch while cleaning on a Saturday. I believe I had seen pieces of it on TV before that. It has a now classic independent-career-driven-woman-who-has-absolutely-no-interest-in-being-slowed-down-by-a-dude-but-can't-help-falling-in-love character, which I'm pretty much over, but there were sparkles and a classic rom-com teen fantasy. So, it was an overall good watch. (Side note: I always check out what other movies these directors have made as I'm writing these posts, and Martha Coolidge seems to have some badass stuff from the 70's and 80's that I'd love to find, watch, and add to these lists)





4 Shark Tale - This one was directed by Bibo Bergeron, Vicky Jenson, and Rob Letterman. I saw this with some nieces and nephews. It has a lot of stars, a lot of music, and the kids all liked it, so it's a good one if the kids hanging around your house are a bit younger.






5 Beyonce: Lemonade - As you probably already know this was directed by Beyonce and Kahlil Joseph. I saw this a bit after it came out. A friend had it, and I thought it was absolutely lovely. Granted, 'kid's movie' might not be the first thing that comes to your head when you think of Lemonade, but why not? Yes, there are some F-bombs and some sexual-ish stuff, but there's also fab music, engaging visuals, dancing, and a badass woman putting a very personal and in many ways revolutionary piece of art out there. There's lots to talk with them about during and after, and really it's the kind of thing we should expose the tweens and teens (and maybe younger) kids in our lives to...and genius bonus - it's art they'll actually like so it might actually make an impression.


No comments:

Post a Comment