3.15.2017

5 Indie Movies With Words Related to Size and/or Femaleness #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, today you get a very special list. I like this list a lot. The theme is INDIE MOVIES THAT INCLUDE SOME TYPE OF WORD FOR FEMALE OR A WORD RELATING TO SIZE. That stupid category turns out to be a pretty solid group of 5 movies. I mean, I usually like most if not all the movies in these lists, but this time I think it's a particularly solid list that you should actually find and watch. So get a snack, a beverage, and get ready for a selection of of lady-made movies that I highly recommend (although some are not for the weak of heart).

1 Certain Women - This was directed by Kelly Reichhardt. I saw this movie when it was in the theaters lasts year, and I was just plain pleasantly surprised. Not that I was expecting it to be bad or anything. I just wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It is a truly solid piece of movie-making. It's quiet and lovely and poignant.




2 Phat Girlz - This was directed by Nnegest Likke`. I saw this in the theaters when it came out back in 2006. Fuck haters and their hating. I like this movie, and not in some kind of ironic way. It was independent for sure, but plenty of great movies are. I hadn't thought much about it lately until I googled it just now, and it has a lot of hater reviews. I thought it was touching, important, and frankly a bit before its time...and that's all before I throw in my deep love and respect for Mo`Nique.




3 Valley Girl - This was directed by Martha Coolidge. I saw this on TV sometime back probably in the early 90's. I remember bits and pieces, and I remember liking it. I generally like this type of movie...and the reviews look pretty good, so all that together means go, like totally, watch this.




4 Tiny Furniture - This was directed by Lena Dunham. I saw this at home a year or 2 after it was released. I hadn't seen any Girls (although it had started by this time) and didn't know much about her. Some movies I like because they are a solid, well-crafted piece of movie-making that kinda get it all right in just the right way. Other movies I like because they are just fun to watch. And others I like because they are particularly interesting or unique or poignant in one or two particular ways. They don't do everything right, but they do something very right. I love seeing the risks these movies take and how they do with them, and I very much appreciate that they take them. Anyway, this movie is one I like for the latter reason. Also, I SSL Reviewed this one.


5 Fat Girl - This was directed by Catherine Breillat. This is the last, but very much not the least, one on the list. This was made in 2001, but I just watched it on Hulu (I thought...although it doesn't look like it's on there now) earlier this year. Charlie was away, and I just chose this one to watch kinda randomly.  As I started watching, I immediately felt bad for watching it without him.Watching good movies alone is cheating. I watched it again with him when he got home that week. I want to tell you about it, but I also don't want to tell you anything about it. It is a very French movie. It's triggery in the rapey sense. It's also so, so, so well done. Listen, this very well may not be your type of move, but it's a top one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment