1.13.2017

5 Movies About Friday the 13th Type Stuff #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, since today is Friday the 13th, this is a  LIST OF 5 MOVIES THAT ARE ABOUT FREAKY FRIDAY THE 13TH STUFF! That's right, in these movies, terrible shit happens. On a day such as Friday the 13th, you should probably stay home and watch things that make you a little scared for your life or for the future of humanity...also in my neck of the woods there will be freezing rain tonight, so all the people in my general area should for real stay home tonight. Anyway, you're real lucky I'm giving you this list. So get a snack, a beverage, and get ready for a selection of of lady-made movies that are worthy of this freakiest of days.

1 Pet Sematary - This is directed by Mary Lambert. this is from 1989, but I only just saw it a few years ago. Me and Barnaby, one of my beloved movie-making partners, decided to watch it one Halloween, and so we did, and it was a joy to watch. I honestly can't remember how I felt about it. I think it was fun...and I know it was an appropriate and awesome watch for that Haloween just as it is for Friday the 13th.




2 American Psycho - This was directed by Mary Harron. This is for real, one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it one night at our friend Levi's mom's house back when we were all young folks. I wasn't that excited about seeing it when it started because I thought it was just some horror flick, and frankly, I'm not really into horror movies. I'm just not. However, I was wrong as hell, because it is an immaculately put together work. I've watched is a few more times since then, and it continues to hold up well for me...and it's pretty bloody and all that so it makes this list.





3 Twilight - This one was directed by Catherine Hardwicke. I saw this in the theater. Charlie had listened to the whole book series on tape because his coworkers at the time had read it and they were all talking about it and wanted him to read it, so he listened while he printed pictures. Anyway, he basically told me the whole story, and so obviously we checked it at the movies. I enjoyed it alright. It's a fine popcorn flick. Also, it's about werewolves and vampires, so that's Friday the 13th as hell.





4 Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - This was directed by Lorene Scafaria. This was a movie that I caught in a hotel room. I love a hotel room movie - one I haven't seen, but not one I've been waiting to a see....a movie that I forgot came out but when I see it's coming on, I'm like, "yeah, I'll watch that." Anyway. that's what happened, and I enjoyed it. It's about the end of the world, so I think that makes it belong in my Friday the 13th list.





5 Deep Impact - This was directed by Mimi Leder. This was a Blockbuster rental back sometime near the time it came out. I have to tell you I can't rememeber much about it, except that I think it was one of those 'pair' movies where 2 movies come out around the same time, and they are both kinda similar premises. There was another like this and I saw that one too. Anyway, comets destroying the earth? Yeah that's Friday the 13thish.


No comments:

Post a Comment