12.23.2015

5 Post-1940's Period Pieces #DirectedByWomen !!!!



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, not usually about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media - means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.


So...this is my Post-1940's Period Piece List - for if you like seeing women in skirts, but not like necessarily full length skirts. Enjoy these on the downtime of your Winter Break.

1 Selma - This was directed by Ava DuVernay. This is a fabulous movie. If you haven't seen it, you should get to it.




2 The Notorious Bettie Page - This was directed by Mary Harron. Ever been to a bar that, for no apparent reason at all really, had old films with pin-up style models getting tied up and stuff like that playing on the TVs. I have, and at least one of those women was probably Bettie Page.



3 Eve's Bayou - This was directed by Kasi Lemmons. I can't remember the specifics of this - I saw it over 15 years ago, but I remember liking it a lot, and I remember the feeling of the Bayou setting, kind of dark and lush and mysterious and hot.




4 Across the Universe - This was directed by Julie Taymor. I actually saw this movie because Charlie and I were teaching a college class about movies, and the students all picked one to do a final paper on. A lovely gal named Lindsey chose this one, and obviously we have to watch them all to grade them there papers.




5 Talk To Me - This one is directed by Kasi Lemmons also. I'm doubling up on her for this list. This is a great movie that should have received even more praise and attention than it did. You may have missed it back in 2007, but check it now for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment