9.07.2015

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen To Watch With The Kids This Labor Day



This is my 4th 5-movie-list for the daily blogging thing I'm doing for the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party. This time it's Family movies. It's Labor Day, the kids are out of school, and you need something to watch together. Well here you go. You can also check the Friday Fun Movie List or the Saturday Serious/Dark Comedy/Indie List or the DRAMA! List depending on your watching mood, and if there are tiny monsters listening. These are all #DirectedByWomen and movies I have actually seen of course.  So, here they are. Enjoy.

1 Corrina, Corrina. This movie is by Jessie Nelson. I haven't seen it since I was young myself - I guess about 14, but I remember really loving it. There was this one scene when Whoopie Goldberg whips this sheet onto a bed, and it's all breezy and light and airy and I have that image in my head every single time I put sheets on a bed.





2 The Prince of Egypt This was directed by Brenda Chapman. I babysat this little girl while I was in college, and she loved this movie. I'll also add in Chapman's later movie, Brave, if you prefer something without the religion.




3 Kung Fu Panda 2 - Jennifer Yuh Nelson directed this one. This is a sequel that is as good as it's original. Fun for the whole family!...and it looks like she's directing Kung Fu Panda 3 which is in post production.




4 Whale Rider - This one is directed by Niki Caro. It's PG-13, so maybe not for the youngest. I've been investigating movie options for pre-teens this weekend while watching my sisters kids, and I've come to the conclusion that PG-13 is more tame now than it was in the 80's. So this being a 2000 movie, I'm guessing it's pretty alright. Plus it's a great movie, and your kids will be better for seeing it.




5 Care Bears The Movie - This was directed by Arna Selznick. Granted this probably isn't for your older kids, but if you are like me, it might be a fun blast from the past to see it again. I pretty much loved this movie as a kid. Who doesn't love the Care Bears!?!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment