10.25.2016

Mr. Robot Season 2 - The SSL Review



Mr. Robot Season 2
So, I finished both seasons of Mr. Robot recently. I'll be real honest. It was hard for me to get into, and then I kinda got into it a little, and then I kinda got less interested in it again. There's something about it that just irks me the tiniest bit, but it's alright. I like it enough, and for those of you out there who love the idea of TV shows whispering sweet nothings in your ears about revolution and money-less economies and 'The Man' and secret rich societies that rule the world - well, you'll probably love this show. Anyway, turns out there was no SSL reviewable moments in the 1st season but there were two in the second. Lucky you, lucky me.



As my most of you already know, an SSL Review is a critique specifically of a depiction or discussion of female orgasm and/or masturbation. I critique the realism (for instance, were the physical things happening to that women while she orgasmed things that could realistically cause orgasm for a woman?) and what the depiction/discussion reflects from and adds to the larger cultural discussion around lady-gasms and female sexuality.

You can see all the SSL TV Reviews HERE (and as always you can find all the movie SSL Reviews HERE).Season 2 Episode 3

stunted masturbation S2 E3
I try not to give any spoilers here, so I'll just say that 'a woman' is shown masturbating in bed at night. She was laying face up with a tank and boxers on. She's doing some kind of anonymous (I assume) sexting. Her hand is down her boxers and making circles in her general vulva area.

As far as I'm concerned that's about as simple as lady-bation gets. No problems on the realism from my end. A hand stimulating the clitoral / vuvla area is certainly a way to masturbate and orgasm. Thing is, she doesn't orgasm though. she gets frustrated and gives up. It goes with her whole thing. She's a lonely and angsty character that looks put together on the outside but can't get it together in her personal life. So, I get it. It is strange though, it's not an uncommon thing to see women in movies try to masturbate and give up out of frustrations, but it's not something I think I've ever seen for men (do let me know if you've seen something like that with a dude).

sex on a dirty bathroom sink S2 E4
So another female character (and again I don't want any spoilers in here for those of you who haven't seen this and are planning on watching - so sorry for the vagueness) has the ol' sex with a guy in a bathroom. She is sitting on the sink facing out. He is standing up facing her. Both her hands are up on the walls around her. Her body is not really moving except for being banged by his. They finish. There is some vocalizations the preceded the finish that aren't 100% discernible as an orgasm, but they could also easily be. I think most people would take it as such - that they both orgasmed, and it's finished.

This ain't so realistic. I mean, yes, it's what most 'orgasmic' sex looks like for the ladies in the media, but no one was putting a hand or anything else on her clitoral vuvla area, and it really didn't look like she was grinding her clit up against his body or anything. If her clit was getting touched at all, it was only a few taps here and there while he banged in and out of her. So...if the clit ain't getting stimulated, it's not realistic to think it would cause a woman to orgasm. Contrary to popular belief, stuff stimulating the vag ain't likely to get the job done. There has never been physical evidence of an orgasm caused by stimulation inside the vagina in scientific literature. There just hasn't.

my thoughts
So, the masturbation scene was physically realistic for getting orgasm - even though she didn't take it that far. Granted, I am a little bored of seeing tightly wound women try to masturbate and give up because Ack! they're so Ack! I'd love to just see at least a few tightly wound women masturbate because they're so Ack! and then you know, orgasm and relax for a minute, and then get all Ack! again because they're just sorta Ack! ladies. I mean why the lack of orgasms? You don't think we ladies can get the job done because of stress. That's when we shine, baby. That's when we really get to rubbin' it out right. Oh, we can do it. Let us get a little stress out like the guys get to do - even if just for a minute.



As for the sink sex. It's the oldest sex scene in the book. Guy rams it in and out of girl. Girls is all like passionate and vocal (without actually moving her hips much or grinding in any way) Noone uses her hands or anything else on her clit. They both kinda vaguely vocalize like they are climaxing and dude has final end of sex thrusty movements and that's that. So, there's nothing nefarious about this scene. It's not taking the understanding of lady-gasm back at all. It's just status quo. Sadly, though, status quo is basically not understanding what lady-gasms come from...wrongly assuming that vaginas can be banged into orgasm and not knowing that the outer clitoral glans and vulva are must be stimulated for orgasm.  

vulva rating
I give this a simple 2 1/2 vulvas overall. It's not super bad. It's also certainly not progressive. It's just status quo.

(!)(!)(!



No comments:

Post a Comment