7.05.2016

5 Movies About Teens #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 Movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, this is my 5 MOVIES ABOUT TEENS! That's right, these movies are about teenagers - some drama, some comedy, some in between. So get a snack, a beverage, and enjoy these varied looks into the youth.

1 Slumdog Millionaire - This was directed by Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan. I saw this in the theater back when it came out in 2008. I loved it. It's a damn good movie, and if you haven't seen it you definitely should.




2 The Diary of a Teenage Girl  - This was directed by Marielle Heller. Charlie and I actually took our oldest niece to see this. She loved it. We loved it. It's a fabulous movie. WATCH. IT. I wrote an SSL Review of it the very next day, and I'm happy to say it got a 5 outta 5 vulva rating.





3 The Brady Bunch Movie This was directed by Betty Thomas. I saw a lot of Brady Bunch as a kid because it was syndicated and came on shortly after i got home from school, so at 15,  I was pretty psyched to go watch the Brady Bunch movie, and as I recall I thoroughly enjoyed it's silly BB style. I haven't seen it since then, but if it showed up on TV, I'd definitely stop.





4 John Tucker Must Die - This was also directed by Betty Thomas. I have seen pieces of this movie many times, and I think that I've seen it all, and most of it in one sitting. For some reason, it was always on at Charlie's parents house when I went there during a particular time. I think maybe his little sister was watching it or something. Anyway, I always got right into it when it came on. I recall it being a fun teen comedy that, again, I would keep on if it popped up on TV some Saturday afternoon.




5 Girlhood - This movie was directed by Celine Sciamma. I watched this on my own one Saturday night after I found it on Netflix. I thought it was a lovely and important movie. I was glad I stumbled upon it, and I'm sure you will be glad you saw it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment