6.09.2016

5 Movies About Someone Real #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, not usually about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media - means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, this is my 5 MOVIES ABOUT REAL PEOPLE LIST! That's right, these movies are about real people, so get a snack, a beverage, your lap-top to fact check aspects of these people's lives as you watch, and enjoy the show.

1 I Shot Andy Warhol - This was directed by Mary Harron. I saw this probably a couple years after it came out...probably on a VHS I rented from the Blockbuster on East Washington Street. To be real honest, I don't remember it that well, but I remember thinking it was cool and interesting. You just might think that too.




2 Monster - This was directed by Patti Jenkins. I saw this at the movies when it came out, but the thing is, I had just seen the documentary of the main character's life, and I really really liked it (I often have a hard time with a fiction version after I've seen a doc on the same thing). so, I was probably less enthused about this than someone who never saw the documentary, but it's a good movie, and Charlize Theron did win an Oscar for it!





3 Wig'd Out - This was directed by a local gal by the name of Kate Chaplin. I saw this at the Indy premiere at a packed Brewhouse Theater. Good music, fun teen antics, and a spunky young lady with alopicia? Oh yeah, it had it all. It was a fun time and the beer was good too!






4 Private Parts - This was directed by Betty Thomas. I think I saw this on video too. I hadn't had much thought either way about Howard Stern before the movie. I knew about him, of course, but he wasn't on the radio or anything in my area. I remember enjoying this movie, but don't know if I can remember much about his life anymore....I guess it was close to 20 years ago, huh??





5 American Splendor - This was directed by Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini. I thought this was a really good movie. I hadn't really known anything about Harvey Pekar going into it. It's been over a decade and a lot of the details are gone, but I remember thinking the style and the way the story was woven together was pretty awesome. It should definitely be on your watch list.

No comments:

Post a Comment