2.09.2016

5 Costume Movies #DirectedByWomen - A Very Loose Categorization



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, not usually about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media - means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So...now I'm going to be honest here - I'm finding it harder to create obvious category types with the ones I have in my list right now. So, this category is a bit of a stretch, but I kinda like it anyway. This is my Costume Movie List - for if you like to see things like serious costuming, or people trying on clothing, or people making clothes.

1 To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar - This was directed by Beeban Kidron. It came out in 1995, and I believe I saw that around that time, so it's been a while, but I do remember my teen self being really touched by it and seeing it as something super forward and cool. Luckily, I happen to see a piece of it recently to remind me a bit about it, and it struck me that there were some really famous, mainstream men in that movie, and it was not speaking on a subject that was mainstream at the time and was probably a bit of a risk for these actors (and now that I have found the trailer for this, I see that it specifically addresses these men being in the movie). Oh, and the costuming is pretty fabulous.




2 Real Women Have Curves - This was directed by Patricia Cardoso, and I saw this on TV back when it was made in 2002ish. I actually distinctly remember that I recorded it on VHS because I can remember seeing that tape later in my life with the title on it. Anyway, I really, really loved this movie. I thought it was sweet, and fun, and poignant...and it revolves a lot around making clothes.




3 Titus - This is directed by Julie Taymor, and I saw this way back in the day from a Blockbuster rental, I believe. I remember it being quite visually striking (especially the costumes, ya'll!!!), which I always think makes it worth my while to watch, but I'm going to make a confession to you here. I don't really like Shakespeare. I don't like watching Shakespeare stuff or putting any real amount of thought into him or his stories (and that includes the super hip Leonardo and Claire Danes Romeo and Juliette one of my teen years). I could really go further into this, but it's for another time, maybe. However, if you are into Shakespeare, I believe this is a rather interesting take on a lesser done of his work.




4 Little Miss Sunshine - This is directed by Jonathon Dayton and Valerie Faris. Well, dag burn it, this is just a well written, well executed, good movie. It deserves the accolades it gets. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it, and I feel there's a pretty darn good chance you'll like it a lot. I definitely saw this at the theater, and was super happy I did. Also, its costume game is on point when it needs to be.




5 What Women Want - This is a Nancy Meyers directed movie. I saw this on video sometime around when it came out, and I can't say it's my favorite, and I can't say it says anything fun ore useful about what women want, but hey, what ya gonna do. I will say, though, that these types of movies are my weakness, and if it's randomly on some Saturday, I'll probably kinda watch it. You might too one day. Also, I do vaguely remember that Mel Gibson had to to try on things like women's panty hose, so that, my friends, puts it right smack dab into a costuming list.


No comments:

Post a Comment