4.13.2019

5 Fun Romp Movies #DirectedbyWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

These are movies that you might simply call a fun romp; an adventure, a fun night, These are good movies to just chill with on a lazy night. 

So, relax in whatever way you so choose and stream one of these for an ejoyable romp of a night.

1. Half Baked - This was directed by Tamra Davis. Although this was released in 98, I just saw it recently on some streaming site. It's a late 90's weed comedy, but to my taste, not near the movie Harold and Kumar is. It's definitely a romp, though. So, if you wanna see Dave Chappelle and friends get crazy high, fall in love, get into shenanigans, and try to make a lot of money in a short time (and why would you not want to see that) definitely check this one out.





2. Desperately Seeking Susan - This was directed by Susan Seidelman. I saw this a long time ago - like in the 80's or 90's on TV, and then I've seen parts of it here and there on TV ever since. I mostly remember about it that I thought Madonna was cool. I honestly don't remember the plot much, but I remember that it's kind of a chase movie, and that it was a little wild and fun. Check it out and let me know what you think about it some 30 years later.





3. Out To Sea - This is directed by Martha Coolidge. I saw this at home with my parents back about the time when it came out in '97. I'm gonna say we rented it from Blockbuster because that seems pretty likely. A fan of Grumpy Old Men, we all thought that Ol' Matthou and Lemmon would bring it again as brother-in-laws pretending to be dance instructors on a cruise ship. Unfortunately I don't remember how much I liked it. I'm assuming it was funny enough - and certainly a wild adventure where many a shenanigans ensued, but I don't really have memories of it. Again, feel free to let me know how it holds up 20 years later.






4. The Wedding Plan - This was directed by Rama Burshtein. I saw this about a year ago on a streaming site, and I was truly pleasantly surprised. It's an Israeli movie, classically about a woman wanting to get married, but it's such a fresh take on it and the movie is just well done with a sweetness and sincerity that is often not achieved in this genre. I enjoyed watching this one.





5. Blockers - This is directed by Kay Cannon. I saw this in the theater with some friends, and again was pleasantly surprised. It was funny and it dodged a lot of stereoyping, sexism, slut-shaming, and meanness that a comedy about parents worried about their daughters trying to fuck for the first time might normally be riddled with. I SSL approve of this one actually. Check it.


No comments:

Post a Comment