6.09.2018

5 2018 Oscar Nominated Movies Directed By Women



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September 2015, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality.

You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

The movies in this list were all nominated for the best movie in its category at the 2018 Academy Awards. Granted, those are months behind us now, but I say it's never too late checkout an Oscar Nominated movie. So, 4 of these are shorts, because, well, I haven't yet seen any of the full length docs or the full length animated films this year - which would have added a couple more regular sized movies to my list, but I'm sure I'll be checking them out soon.


1 Edith and Eddie - This was directed by Laura Checkoway. I saw this at Indiana University. They were hosting a series where you could watch all the shorts and we hadn't seen the docs yet. In fact, this was the first year we were anywhere near a place showing all the short docs, so it was quite a treat to finally see them all.




2 Traffic Stop - This was directed by Kate Davis. I saw this at the Indiana University showing as well. It looks like this director is coming out with a full length doc this year that I imagine should be good called 'Say My Name: The Life and Death of Sandra Bland'





3. Heroin(e) - This was directed by Elaine McMillion Sheldon. Again, this one I got to see at the ol' Indiana University showing. I thought this was a pretty well done and engaging short doc.





4 Watu Wote (All of Us) - This was directed by Katja Benrath. This one I saw at the Keystone Arts Cinema in Indianapolis (It's been nicknamed 'the evil Key' by one of our friends because we used to have a cool as fuck arts theater on the south side called Key Cinemas that brought in more 'artsy' low-budget movies but it closed down and the Keystone Arts on the upperclass northside (where the rich folk aren't afraid to go)  with lots more Hollywood, big-budget movies was all that was left. I personally am just glad we have any arts theater at all that brings in some good shit from time to time and that it is financially stable enough to stay around, but I still call it the evil Key). Anyway, the Evil Key brings in the Oscar Nominated short animation and short live action films each year and so we've always for sure checked those out.





5 Lady Bird - This was directed by Greta Gerwig. I saved this for last because it's the one everyone has probably heard about, and it's full length and all. I saw this when me and Charlie took our first initial trip to Des Moines to check out the city when I found out my work might be moving here. I have to say the fact that Des Moines has a solid and seemingly stable arts theater here was a true relief. It's called Fleur Cinema , and it definitely plays some more high-budget hollywood movies, but it also brings in some more lesser known films, which is all I ask. It's a Des Moines jewel if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment