7.27.2016

5 Not-Set-In-America Movies #DirectedByWomen



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, being that it's not specifically about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media  means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms, and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, this is my LIST OF 5 MOVIES THAT DON'T TAKE PLACE IN AMERICA! That's right, these movies don't take place in America! They are fun and cool and not full of Fords, fast food, American flags and other American things I can't think of right now, so get a snack, a beverage, and get ready for tiny cinematic world tour!

1 City of God - This was directed by Fernando Mierelles and Katia Lund. This is coming to you from Rio De Janeiro, and it's just a fabulous movie. I saw it a few years after it came out on video, and although it was over a decade ago, and I don't remember a lot, I remember it was a lovely, well made, and important movie. Watch it if you haven't.






2 Speculation Nation - This movie was directed by Bill Brown and Sabine Gruffat. This doc is coming at you from Spain. We saw this at the Gateway Film Center for their Documentary Week because our movie was in it too and we ended up in this one because it played at a convenient time. It was a good stroke of luck because it turned out to be a pretty fun interesting film about Spain's housing crisis.





3 Monsoon Wedding - This was directed by Mira Nair, and it's coming at you from Delhi. I happen to see this on TV or maybe Netflix years after it came out, and I really enjoyed it. It was fun and sweet, and well worth a watch.





4 The Hurt Locker - This was directed by Kathryn Bigelow. This movie takes you to Iraq, and it's a good one. I saw this in the theater, and quite enjoyed it.





5 Bridget Jone's Diary - This was directed by Sharon Maguire, and this movie takes you to jolly old England. I also saw this one on TV years after it came out. It's a good Saturday afternoon movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment