SSL Review Intro
I'm continuing to move through season 3 of Broad City, SSL Reviewing the shit out of it when eligible scenes arise. Eligible scenes being those that include depictions and/or discussions of female orgasm and/or masturbation. That's the only thing I comment on in these reviews. I'm looking for physical realism (if a lady is masturbating to orgasm by rubbing weed against her face, I will call bullshit on scientific and basic anatomical ground), and I'm also looking for what part the scene plays in our cultural conversation about female orgasm and sexuality. So, thems the basics. If you want more TV SSL Reviews head HERE. Want some movie SSL reviews? Go HERE.
Season 3 Episode 8
The Shower Scene
Abbi is showering with a dude. It begins while she's shampooing her hair as the dude is eating her out. Well, actually, I don't know that. I assume heavily that is what's happening. She's standing, and he's knelt down in front of her facing her, but he's completely out of frame. He could honestly be doing anything down there, and there are no verbal clues about what specifically is happening body part to body part. Maybe he's getting in real close to give it a good look and diddling that clit with his palm. I mean who knows the writers' and actors' intentions behind this scene. However, I feel like most viewers would definitely assume oral sex is happening, so that's what I'm going to assume was happening.
Okay, again I don't know the specifics, but I can say these 2 things about what's happening.
- Abbi verbalizes and moves in a way that would seem that whatever he's doing to her feels real good.
- She's standing upright and steady while he's doing whatever he's doing down there. She's not moving like she's getting fingers rammed in and out of her puss or like she's maneuvering to spread her legs in any way. So, that would make me assume he's messing with the upper parts of the vulva area - which is absolutely the area that needs to be stimulated for lady-gasms.
Okay -back to the shower scene
Anyway, during this back and forth, he asks her to go to dinner with him and she eventually says yes. He pops up, and she begins to take her turn going down, and the following conversation happens:
Dude: Oh - you don't have to. Um, I uh...I actually finished when you said yes.Then she kinda pushes his head down and leans her head back like she's enjoying it before the scene cuts.
Abbi: Ahhh :) - I definitely didn't though*
*Just so you know, I added the smiley face emoticon in there to give you a sense of her tone. I believe emoticons should become standard tone punctuation, but we don't need to discuss that here.
So, let's review:
- This was a situation in which a woman and man are having a sexual situation that does not involve intercourse.
- They are enjoying it and both orgasm (or at least they both expect to)
- There is no sense from the characters or the tone of the show that their style of sexual interaction is weird
- The physical things that were assumed to be happening to the woman are things that could actually cause a woman to orgasm
- A woman unabashedly expects orgasm in a sexual act that could actually cause her to orgasm and her partner and the tone of the scene treat that as completely normal
Season 3 Episode 9
This is a simple one that really just barely qualifies for an SSL Review, but I like it, so I'm reviewing it.
Abbi and Ilana are going on a trip, and the morning they leave, they are talking on the phone. They're asking each other if they packed certain things, ya know, to help each other not forget things. One of the things Abbi asks Ilana is if she packed her vibrator - which she did.
The reason this simple dialogue is important is that it normalized:
- the owning of a vibrator,
- the fact that a woman would take a vibrator on a trip,
- and the fact that a friend would know about the vibrator and understand that it should be packed.
- women masturbating,
- women admitting to friend that they masturbate,
- women's use of vibrators in partnered sex,
- and women's need for the kind of clitoral/vulva stimulation that vibrators provide.
The Vulva Rating
Broad City consistently knocks it out of the park with orgasm equality style revolution. They slide it in with humor, and hoards of people get to ingest the realistic, clit-centric, lady-bation loving, equal-opportunity-orgasm sex having shenanigans.
This is another 5 out of 5 vulva rating.