2.25.2016

5 Movies #DirectedByWomen To Watch With Slightly Older Kids



I started doing this categorized List of 5 movies thing where I showcase movies that were directed by women and that I have actually seen. It all started during the Directed By Women Worldwide Viewing Party in September, and it was pretty fun, so I've continued doing it from time to time.

It's a bit off-topic from my normal fare, ya know, not usually about lady-gasms or anything like that, but I think it fits the blog because
1. this blog is also about indie movie-making, and
2. this blog is partially about getting the female perspective of sexuality into our media. So, to me, supporting female voices in our media - means we're creating more room for female voices to speak on all types of things, which sometimes will be sex, orgasms and sexuality. You can find all my 5-movie lists HERE.

So, this is my Movies To Watch With Slightly Older Kids List - for if you want to watch something you actually want to watch, but with the kids.

1 Persepolis - This was directed by Vincent Paronnaud and  Marjane Satrapi, who I now see has directed other films that I haven't seen, but should check out because I like Persepolis so much. I saw it back when it was moving through theaters, and It was just a really well-executed work, and it's be pretty interesting to watch with some young folk.




2 Ramona and Beezus - This was directed by Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum (Elizabeth Allen), and if I remember correctly Charlie and I went to see this in the theater with no nieces and nephews in tow because we just love us some Ramona Quimby, and I know many of you out there probably love you some too. It did not meet Ramona Quimby perfection in my mind, but who knows what overly ridiculous expectations I had anyway. In the end I thought it was sweet, and kind, and funny, and it was a nice tribute to those books. I suggest a watch.




3 Speed Racer - This was directed by Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski . I do love that duo, and I love this movie. I don't think it got the credit it deserves, but if you want some style and fun in your PG movie, check this out.




4 How To Make an American Quilt - This was directed by Jocelyn Moorehouse. I have to say it's been a long time since I've seen this, but I remember liking it. Generations of ladies shootin' the shit generally leads to good things, in my opinion. It's also PG-13 and full of that classic Winona angst so set them teens down with some popcorn and get to watchin'. (okay - now that I've seen the trailer, there is definitely some PG-13 steaminess going on in this, so if you aren't too squeamish, it actually looks like this explores some ideas about love that maybe would be good starting points for convo with a teen...but that's me - maybe you'd rather put on some steamy-less stuff and move on with your night)




5 Little Man Tate - This was directed by none other than ol' Jody Foster - who also stars in it. It was made in 1991, so I was about 11, and I believe I saw this on a videotape rented from our nearby Marsh Supermarket, so it's been a good long while. However, for whatever reason, this movie has always stuck with me somehow as a film that was quite moving (to an 11 year old, yes, but none the less). Anyway, hopefully your kids will like it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment