1.19.2019

Inside Amy Schumer S2 Ep4 - The SSL Review



Inside Amy Schumer 
This show makes me laugh, and here's the best part - Amy Schumer tends to bring it when it comes to realism and female sexuality. She brought it in her movie Trainwreck, in The Joe Rogan Podcast, and largely in the other episodes of this show I've SSL Reviewed so far. She has shown a strong willingness to give the clit the glory it deserves, speak some truths about lady sex experiences, rep for actual lady-gasms - all things largely absent in media and also incredibly important to Orgasm Equality. (She could use some schooling and humbling when it comes to speaking about race though - but that's pretty true of a lot of us).



The SSL Reviewable
There is plenty to SSL Review in this show. And for those that don't yet know, an SSL Review is a critique specifically of discussions or depictions of female orgasm, female masturbation, or the clit. I focus on that and really only that (unless I want to talk about something else). I'm looking mainly at realism and about how the depiction/discussion plays in the larger cultural conversation about female orgasm and women's sexuality.

Please, my friends, do enjoy more SSL Reviews for MOVIES and TV SHOWS.

The SSL Review
I'll describe this (kinda murky) SSL Reviewable scene and then discuss it a bit. 

Season 2 Episode 4: Give me the payoff
This scene is in a skit where basically she goes to a hotel and they treat her like an absolute queen from the moment she checks in until she checks out, and then they abruptly treat her like shit.
Technically, this doesn't specifically include discussion of lady-bation, lady-gasms, or the clit, but it mentions getting eaten out, and that kind of encompasses the last 2 in my opinion. Plus, I just have a small beef with it that I want to mention.

The desk clerk asks her during her check in,"Would you like to to be awakened by a kiss on the cheek or a stranger going down on you?"
She answers, "Oh, I don't know...I guess the latter?"

My Comments
Here's the thing though. We see her wake up, and there's no one going down on her. Other magical things happened, so it wouldn't be out of place. It sounds like a great way to wake up, and I just think it would have been enjoyable to see. That's my small beef.

However, I like that 'having a stranger go down on you' was a choice the writers decided to put in. I think it's just a nice way to normalize the idea that women like sexual satisfaction for sexual satisfaction sake. Plus the writers did that using oral sex, which is focused on the clitoral glans, and thus actually quite orgasmic for women, instead of something like intercourse that is traditionally seen as something orgasmic for women, but actually not a sensibly orgasmic act.

Vulva Rating
Even though this is technically not SSL Reviewable, I'm gonna review it anyway because I can and because I respect any piece of media that randomly throws getting-eaten-out-by-a-stranger at us with a positive light, We need all the reminders we can get that women like their clits stimulated by mouths. We are already really clear that dude's like mouths on their penises. We should be just as clear on that about clits - because as people have been bravely reminding us lately, men are getting more oral than ladies, and it's bullshit.

So, it's not super revolutionary, but it's good. I'll give it 4 out of 5 vulvas.

(!)(!)(!)(!)

No comments:

Post a Comment