2.12.2017

My Mom, Chemo BS, Laughter, And Also Some Half-assed Lady-gasm Stuff



A half-assed lady-gasm related post for you
All, I'm sorry I'm a bit late on posting. I know you were anxiously awaiting my thoughts on some aspect of female orgasm in science or pop culture, but I just don't want to put the energy in today.

So, in lieu of a new post on lady-gasms, please feel free to check out:
Science, Sex and The Ladies from AnC Movies on Vimeo.


I hope you enjoy any and all of the above because that's what this blog is all about - the continued discussion about what's problematic about how our culture approaches female orgasm and how we can make it better; i.e. a continuation of subjects discussed in the doc, Science, Sex and the Ladies, above.

Some personal non-lady-gasm related stuff  just because
I don't have much personal stuff in here because of the pretty specific focus of the blog, but I did want to write a little about my weekend. My mom (Here's a little post I wrote about her for a Clitoris Awareness Week post in 2013) has lymphoma and her last round of chemo kicked the shit out of her. She ended up in the hospital, and she's been there for 3 days now. We're just kinda waiting to see if her body can make it through the bad case of mucositis. It's been real up and down. It's strange and wierd and sad and happy, but damn if I'm not a lucky woman to have so much love and support in my life - cousins, aunts, friends, dad, husband, and my sister who is just pretty much everything to me. They keep a gal grounded and fully entertained.

If I didn't have these people to laugh and cry with, this shit would suck so, so much more. And truthfully, there is much more laughing than crying, not because it's not sad, but because laughing is more fun than crying and if there's opportunity to laugh, that's usually what happens. For instance, my mom is hallucinating...a lot. It's fucked up. We aren't exactly sure why. It may just be something happening as she's moving towards recovery from this or it may be a pretty bad sign. It's actually quite sad and scary, but fuck if it isn't also hilarious. She was telling me today that there was a cheese man who had a little white mouse of his shoulder that's always trying to tell ya something. Apparently there's also a little guy with tea bags that takes care of her. She saw one of my cousins jump over his dog with all kinds of panache, and saw my sister, her husband and their youngest standing around in Sherlock Holmes costumes.

She gets to talking in her sleep and getting her right hand moving and pointing. Sometimes she moves it around so much she looks like she's trying to do hand ballet. Sitting next to her bed is like watching a fire. It's mesmerizing. You just can't take your eyes away. She just breaks out with some of the craziest shit sometimes. We text each other to document when she pulls out the real doozies, and we just crack our asses up talking about it later.

Truth be told, hallucinating, out-of-it her might be the last her we see or it may just be a never ending bucket from which to pull hilarious stories for her in the future. I hope it's the latter, but if it's not I know she'd want us all to get as much joy and comradery and love and memories from our last times with her and our times together as we can...even if it is sad.

So, that's what's up with me. I guess I wanted to write about it a little now while it's still fresh. Be well my friends, and if you are going through anything shitty right now, may it get better and may you make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment